Friday, February 17, 2017

Games we play

I grew up in a small city.

And playing outdoors was the magic pill to combat long summer days.
Once out of home, we quickly discussed games to play that day. 
Image courtesy: Google
We looked for puddles to jump. 
Or bushy guava trees to climb. 
We ran from one street to another in groups.
Giggling and talking at the same time. 
All of us. 
Together. 
We ran like gushing water from pipes! 
We loved summer holidays!

My favourite game was hopscotch.
Connected squares or rectangles were drawn on tar roads
With a chalk or a broken piece of tile.
We raised our mid length frocks a little 
And jumped one legged. 
In summer mornings on the dark tarmac road,
The white marks almost stared at you.
Almost told you about boundaries but fell just a bit short, 
Because in hopscotch, it was easy to go past them. 

As we hopped to avoid one box or the other 
And to definitely avoid all the lines drawn, in either red or white,
We panted and laughed with joy, and prayed that the other failed to do so.
We cursed each other in jest. 
"May you put a step in the boundary!"
"May I come first!" We giggled!
Played pranks to break each other's concentration.
We looked at awe at those who finished the whole game at one go, 
Who reached home,
Without once going out of those connected boxes.
For reaching home was certainly not easy. 
Balancing oneself all the time on one leg, 
And hopping towards the "home", 
which was either at the centre or at the end, 
Reaching home was always difficult! 
You had to go past all the boxes, one by one.
Never stepping on the lines and never putting both the feet on the floor.
We wiped our knotted brows straight, 
Only when we reached home, in a hopscotch square.
We smiled at our friends waiting for their turns outside the box then.  

Many years later, it seems I still play hopscotch. 


I  carefully hop through some days, never touching the glaring lines,
Although they shine bright to catch my attention. 
Not letting my dice fall in the wrong box and never getting out of the box, anyway.
(What was the hurry to get in the box, I wonder!
Was it the game itself?)
Avoiding dates, jumping through some, to the next.
Making sure I do not take note of the day, 
Or making sure others do not catch me taking a note at least. 
I untie my knotted brow once those days pass. 
I raise my head and smile at a friend.
And I nod my head, as I see her getting into that enticing game of boxes. 

5 comments:

  1. Ami kit kit ar lyangcha duto khelatei churanto opotu chhilam. Ek paa e balance e somosya hoto. Tokhon bhabini je boro hoye baki jibon ta oi choukhupi topke jaoa, daag banchano ar ... bharsammo rokkha korar chesta korei katbe. Boroder kaaje okaje jibone songsare jibikay chhotoser ei duti khela khub e kaaje lage. Chhotoder khela ki bororai abishkar kore? 30/35 bochhor aage jokhon cheshta korechhi khelte ar parini ba here gechhi, onno khela khelechhi, tokhon bhabini je boro hoye aaj ekotha likhte hobe. Chhoto ami benche thak. Sabdhane thak amar chhotobela.

    Samik

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Onek bhalobasa! Boro rai ki chhoto der khela gulo banay? Naki chhoto ra boro der khela gulo prothom thekei Jane?

      Delete
  2. Just read 'hopscotch' and you couldn't have said it better. We are still at it, juggling our dice and trying to stay in or out of the boxes. Only now some of us are fortunate to chose which box we want.

    The early depiction took me back to my childhood, of lazy summers, carefree days when we got so much joy from the simple pleasures of life. Be it climbing trees or drawing the hopscotch chart on the road or playing seven tiles or kit kit that was possible in a small town. We had so little for entertainment but we're never bored. Feel bad that my girls have lost out on all this and more in a big city life and too many choices. Such is life.. sigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rajshri! How beautifully you said that

      Delete
  3. The way we grew up...
    Nostalgic...
    Portraying our home our childhood n our summer days..in a candid way
    Love you Nayana Chowdhury..
    P.S. I love the last para...:-)

    ReplyDelete

Mothers' Day!

 Being a mom is not my mother's best quality! And although she may not like saying it aloud,  I want to fight for her to retain her righ...